UPDATE: Video footage from Kirshnik Khari Ball aka Takeoff’s funeral (below) and a special message of love from Quavo (above) titled “Dear Take.” In the video, Offset tells everyone that Takeoff “changed the culture of music forever.” RIP Take.
The original story is below [Novemeber 3, 2022 – 6 AM PST]:
28-year-old rapper Kirshnik Khari Ball, known as Takeoff, was shot and killed in Houston early this week.
One of the three members of the Migos rap group, Takeoff’s sudden death sent a ripple of shock through the rap and hip-hop worlds.
A number of celebs have spoken out in the wake of his tragic death:
- Actress Keke Palmer wrote, “It’s all just tragic and I am so sorry to his whole family and all he touched. Really terrible.”
- Christian rapper/author Lecrae wrote, “No hot takes. No profound thoughts. Just sad that another rapper, son, brother, and friend has been killed. God be with all those who feel the loss.”
- Sports journo Jemele Hill wrote, “I was in college when Biggie and ‘Pac were killed and thought there was no way we’d ever experience anything remotely close to that again. Now it’s happening so frequently that you barely have time to recover before someone else killed. RIP Takeoff.”
- Kylie Jenner wrote, “So many prayers. God cover this family. Heartbreaking. Gone too soon. Devastating.”
- Machine Gun Kelly wrote, “I had the honor of being on migos first mixtape back in like 09’…crazy what they’ve done since. i was so proud of that album cho and takeoff just dropped, the bars and production were so mean, i’m just glad he got to experience SOME of his flowers while he was here. RIP Take 🕊.”
- Drake wrote, “I got the best memories of all of us seeing the world together and bringing light to every city we touch. That’s what I’ll focus on for now 😔 rest easy space man Take 🚀.”
- Musician/actress Teyana Taylor wrote, “Please tell me this is just a bad dream pleaseeeeeeee I don’t want to believe this lil bro please 🥺😢.”
- Actress/singer Chloe Berry wrote, “RIP Takeoff💔💔💔. My heart is broken”.
- Influencer and boxer Jake Paul shared his thoughts on Twitter, encouraging young people to “put down the guns and pick up some boxing gloves to settle your differences.”
- Gucci Mane wrote simply “R.I.P.” with a broken heart emoji.
- Ja Rule wrote, “Rip Takeoff… this s–t has to STOP… sending love to friends and family 🕊.”
And after fans noticed Offset and Cardi B were quiet in the wake of Takeoff’s death, Offset has finally broken his silence. Kinda.
Offset changed his display pictures on Twitter and Instagram to a smiling picture of his cousin but has not released a statement or made a post. Some fans speculate that they had beef before his death, but he could just be heartbroken by the sudden tragedy.