The sporting world lost one of its greatest icons this past week when Pelé, the titan of Brazilian football, passed away at 82.
FACTZ has received images from his funeral to share.
Pelé was a transcendent figure, reaching a level of global celebrity matched by few athletes throughout history. He is also widely regarded as one of the greatest soccer players of all time, setting numerous records and garnering countless accolades across his decades-long career.
Here are a few of his most notable achievements:
- Youngest player to start in, score in, and win a World Cup Final (17 years old).
- Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 77 goals in 92 appearances.
- Only player in history to win three World Cups.
- Most assists in World Cup history (10).
- Most hat-tricks of all time (92).
- 767 goals in official matches and 1281 goals (although this number varies across different organizations) when including friendlies, junior level, etc.
- Named one of the “100 Most Important People of the 20th Century” by Time magazine and “Athlete of the Century” by the International Olympic Committee.
This scratches the surface of what Pelé achieved throughout his remarkable career.
Rest in peace to a legendary man.