Although Voting Day in the US is making headlines everywhere, there are a few important things to keep track of. And here’s a handy list to sum them up:
- Voting Day: Just to get it out of the way, let’s touch on this. This year’s midterm elections could be the most crucial ever and will determine control of Congress over the next four years. Many candidates vying for federal seats are election deniers and will push to limit voting access and disassemble voting protection laws.
- Twitter: Elon Musk has promised not to change anything major until after the midterms. This means that, starting tomorrow, it’s game on. Now is a more vital time than ever before to ensure the trafficking of factual information and the moderation of misinformation. Still, Musk’s time at the helm is causing chaos and uncertainty.
- Subtropical Storm Nicole: Although Florida just survived more than its fair share of storm nightmares with Hurricane Ian, they’re about to have to do it all over again. Well, kinda. Nicole won’t be as powerful as Ian was, not by a long shot, but it will be a broad storm bringing Tropical Storm force winds across nearly the entire beleaguered state. Storm surges are expected to begin Wednesday and will impact many of the communities still dealing with damage from Ian.
- Ukraine: Newly arrived Western air defense systems are expected to offer the Ukrainian hold-outs a boost. But they may need to target Iranian missiles at launch sites, which sit well inside Russian borders. This could escalate aggression and tensions with Russia – as if things weren’t already bad enough. But it may be the Ukrainian people’s only way of stopping aerial bombardments before they land.
- Uvalde: In Uvalde, Texas, a judge has sealed autopsy reports of victims killed in the Robb Elementary School mass shooting in May. Prosecutors argue that the autopsies could reveal information authorities will need to preserve until the investigation is complete. The Judge has not revealed how long the autopsies will remain sealed.
And that’s a quick wrap-up of today’s news. Most importantly, get out and vote.
Nik I wasn’t going to vote but you convinced me man. Literally reading factz while I’m waiting in line to vote. Ha